Sunday, September 5, 2010

May I See Your Boss?

Job Overview:
Our client, a statutory board under the Public Service Division, Prime Minister's Office is seeking suitable candidates to join their dynamic team as a 
Graphic Designer - Buona Vista (Temp 3-6 mths).

Responsibilities:

Create designs on posters, brochures and training material
Ad-hoc admin support.


Requirements:
Good Working Knowledge of Photoshop, Adobe, Freehand, Power point, Plus PC and Mac Corporate design experience.
Able to commit for 3-6 months period
Start work from Oct 10 till Jan 11. (Subjected to extension till April 11)
Fresh Graduates are welcomed!

Working hours:
$7 / hr
5 days work week
Mon- Thurs (830am -
)
Fri (830am - 530pm)


__________________________________________________________________________________


141 Strawberry Drive
Singapore 8061292

September 2010


Angela Lee
5 Shenton Way
#05-03
UIC Building Singapore 068808

Dear Ms. Lee,

Graphic Designer – Buona Vista (Temp 3-6 months)

I refer to your online advertisement dated 1 September 2010, on the recruitment of a Graphic Designer at Buona Vista and seek to express my interest in applying for this job. I understand that this position requires a person with the ability to design and create posters, brochures and training materials, and I believe I fulfill the criteria.

I am a year 4 undergraduate student from the National University of Singapore (NUS) majoring in Chemistry. As an undergraduate, I have had the opportunity to design publicity posters for the Sheares Hall Photography Committee as a means of publicizing an Inter-Hall photo competition. Using tools such as Adobe Photoshop, I was able to create posters that were refreshing enough to be eventually displayed at the entrance of the photo exhibition.  In addition, I have also designed a poster for a church camp, which has received much positive feedback, and one of the compliments was that the concept was fresh and original.

Since young, my interest for design and appreciation for the aesthetics has caused me to tune my eyes to observe how the design and layout of advertisements and posters are created to attract viewers’ attention. One such example is the entire series of posters displayed along one of the shelters in
Singapore General Hospital.  Clearly, the theme was on personal hygiene, and the clever use of words and pictorial aid employed to deliver this message captivated me.  I would bring this spirit of creativity into your designing team so as to create posters, brochures and teaching materials that are both memorable and aesthetically pleasing.

I have had the opportunity to work in various projects and committees in NUS, one of which I served as the Vice-Project Director of the NUSSU Student Welfare Committee to oversee  the publicity of a campus-wide event. The experience of working in a team has equipped me with people skills such as staying receptive to new ideas and criticisms, that will enable me to contribute more productively to your team of capable designers. Moreover, I am proficient with the various designing tools, such as Adobe Photoshop, Powerpoint and Freehand which are skills that will be useful to your team.  

I am ready to start work immediately and can commit for the 3-6 months at the working hours listed in your job advertisement.  I appreciate your time reviewing cover letter, and look forward to your favourable reply soon.

Yours sincerely,



Stephanie Cheng
Mobile No. : 90901234
Email: stephanie_cheng@gmail.com

Enclosed Resume

6 comments:

  1. I will be back with a proper comment later, but I just wanted to comment on something trivial first. (Hope it's okay.)

    Strawberry Drive? I WANT TO LIVE THERE! Sounds delicious. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steph, I am 'persuaded' to give you an interview because it is clear and concrete to me(specific examples which demonstrate your experience and skills well!) You also potray your experience on graphic design and art well.. you seem rather experienced to me!

    If you could include a point or so on what awards for any art-related or graphic design competitions you have won an award in, that would render your application letter even more compelling.. :)

    Cheers,
    You Sheng

    ReplyDelete
  3. My format keeps running our of alignment when I published it, but looks all right before I published. I can't seem to fix it. *frustrated*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi May, thanks for your trivia comment ! haha i would love to bring u there if there's such a place. But it probably won't be in singapore because we can't grow strawberries here ;P

    Hi You Sheng, I unfortunately do not have any awards as my accolades but I want to convince my future boss that my lack in awards can be compensated by a love for aesthetics and creativity. :)

    *whee* formatting is decent now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steph,

    Your personality so resonates through this letter.
    You sounded very courteous.

    Overall, I would consider your application.

    However, in your second paragraph, there appears to be two contradicting ideas. The whole paragraph against the last sentence.

    It was a strong claim that you are proficient in using the softwares and that was all good. But you mentioned about the work you did for Sheares and church camp. It may be too little of portfolio there. Perhaps you can add in more examples to boost the reader's confidence?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Steph,

    I think generally your cover letter made a good impression. You exhibit a humble attitude in your letter, but at the same time substantiate your skills through your experiences.

    However, I think the points are rather scattered.

    in 2nd paragraph: you described your skill and experiences and skillset

    in 3rd paragraph: you described your passion and interest in design, and told your personal story and descibe your experiences

    in 4th paragraph: again, you described your experiences and skillset

    My suggestion will be that perhaps you can group all your experiences together, list them and compact them into one paragraph. It will be quite impressive to see all your experiences in one paragraph. The effect will be much stronger.

    Besides that, I don't think it's necessary to describe so much about what you have learnt, unless it was specific. For each experience that you have, you may just include:
    1. the organisation
    2. your artwork and it's significance (e.g. used in exhibition, etc.)
    3. the specific skill you have learnt

    I believe that will make your cover letter more concise and outstanding.

    It will also be helpful for you to include one paragraph in describing your working attitude (goal-driven, excellency, etc.) I believe employer will look our for such stuff. =)

    Hope it helps!

    Cheers,

    Yong Chean

    ReplyDelete