Sunday, August 22, 2010

Why Is Effective Communication Important to Me

I have learnt that in a gist, 'Effective Communication' happens when a message sent out by a person gets understood clearly and correctly by his/her audience. Don't we all want to lessen misunderstandings in our communication? I definitely do. There are countless instances in my life when attempts at expressing my intentions, thoughts and feelings fell short of its intended purpose because I was feeling frustrated, fearful or nervous. This inevitably created misunderstandings and the friendship soured.

The above scenarios are as much due to my psyche, as they are due to a lack of practice and perhaps, confidence. Hence, having effective communication with others can keep most social or personal relationship in good condition, like the oiling of a rusty mechanism. Being able to minimize misunderstandings and barriers saves time and decreases anxiety on both parties as well. I know the saying "No man is an island", and because having fulfilling relationships is an important aspect of life, effective communication is vital.

Projecting myself as a wannabe- teacher, I hope to be able to communicate effectively with my students, colleagues and supervisors on a personal and/or professional level. With the advent of technology, more communication channels, such as skype, emailing, video-conferencing are available. Knowing which communication channels to use will be most helpful when I step out into the work force, because such skills and the ability to discern the best form of communication channel(s) for various situations are essential to making meaningful relationships with people around me.




8 comments:

  1. I think you will do great as a teacher :)
    You have got the look already!

    I have a theory. We tend to keep judgement to ourselves and reserve from saying anything more than necessary; the 'saving face' culture. Give it 20 years of everyday practice.

    We get gossipers discussing how some people just would not stop talking or even how insensitive some people can get.

    Truly we have to be mindful of what to say and when to stop without being projecting image of being too reserve and closed.

    Hard life eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHA Stephy, the first paragraph depicts, "What would an introvert say" ;)

    But that's besides the point.. anyhow I find that you're really nice and caring towards others, very thoughtful and observant so people should be able to sense it even through your non-verbal communication.

    Besides, you'll make an awesome teacher from these qualities. I believe in you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOw, thanks. :) So your theory is that we Asians tend to reserve criticisms to ourselves. I think this is generally true; we don't want to embarrass people, and we want to avoid being in an awkward situation ourselves. Ultimately, I agree that we have to be mindful of what we say because the tongue is like a spark that can set a whole forest ablaze. Then again, if we feel we have something meaningful to say, it doesn't hurt to share it. Hard life huh..Yeah, we rock x)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Steph!

    You and Stanley should really represent the new generation of teachers - teachers who listen and care. I often remember my primary and secondary school teachers screaming "I don't want to hear any excuses" at their students, not even bothering to hear the student's side of the story.

    And yes, we have to keep oiling that rusty old machine! An apt description. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Steph, for this clear, concise and fluent first post. I like the way you move from the general to the specific, detailing how effective comm skills can lessen misunderstandings, then focusing on your own future needs.

    As a future teacher, you will certainly need to be tech savvy, knowing when to sue the best channel for communication. A more serious need, however, at least from my point of view, will be in having the skills for creating an effective classroom environment, one that your students will thrive in. A large part of that will be centered on your ability to bond with your charges, which will necessitate comm skills of various sorts. Best of luck with that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. (ish, change background sia..)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Steph
    I think its noble that you want to become a teacher. Not many people (that i know of) in this day and age would want to become teachers out of their own volition. Most choose this path because of scholarships and other reason. It is however a truly rewarding career watching the young children you teach grow up to accomplish great things. Having recently the opportunity to interact with primary 6 students, I can say that there would never be a dull day at work!! All the best!!
    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi all, thanks for your blog comments ! The education system now is very different from past years. Because information is so easily accessed now due to technology, teachers' aim is not to impart information but 'facilitate' their learning. Students nowadays will challenge teachers' instructions e.g. Why cannot :)

    Thanks Brad, for the encouragement and teaching tips! As a teacher with over 20 years of teaching experience, you must have seen a myriad of students, dealt with different classroom dynamics, and still always made an effort to connect with the students. I really have much to learn from you ! :)

    I agree with you Daniel, that the rewards of teaching is the satisfaction of seeing your students grow, be it as a person or in their knowledge of the world. Indeed, I sincerely hope your wishes for me come to pass!

    ReplyDelete