Wednesday, November 3, 2010

My Oral Presentation Reflection

 The Dandelion Student Impact Team
                                                              Guess who's who!

Dear diary,
I guess I better write my reflections down first, before they all fly out of my head.

On Monday (1 Nov 2010), The Dandelion Student Impact Team gave an oral presentation. Before I start on how I thought I performed, I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed working with my group members - Daniel, Yong Xin, You Sheng. They are a fun-loving, great bunch of people. Even though we've our differences, misunderstandings, other commitments and IPI, we enjoyed each other's company (well, most of the time we do). I have learnt a lot from each of them - learnt what it means to really listen, saw that a difference in opinions can be solved by negotiation and not merely brushed aside. The topic of our presentations is to convince the audience, who are supposedly representatives of the NUS Excellence Unit, to adopt our proposed solutions to improve RAG and Flag. RAG and Flag is a huge topic, with many intricacies and interconnected issue. Yet our team has strived to present as complete a picture to our audience, and that may have been too much for them.

Overall, in terms of work and effort, I'd dare say The Dandelion did an extensive amount of research. We surveyed the NUS population, as well as arranged meetings with Christopher Cheong, Zhen Yu, and gathered opinions and feedback from previous RAG directors. The experience of talking to the RAG organizers definitely shed light on the issue of RAG. The need for change was not just felt among the student population, but also the organizers.

In terms of my own preparation for the presentation, it wasn't enough. It would have been better if the details of the presentation were finalized earlier i.e. focus, direction etc, and that I had spent more time rehearsing the script instead of trying to fine-tune it to perfection. I felt on my part that I had focused too much on preparing the content of the speech for my part, that I did not see the bigger picture of my role as the first speaker. Also, unfortunately, I did not manage to internalize my speech, and the effect was reflected during the actual presentation itself. A lack of sleep was a definite no-no on hindsight. I was ironing my speech until very early of the presentation date, and did not have sufficient sleep. I thought I could still handle that, but my mind couldn't. What was good about the preparation was that, ideas were discussed and incorporated, such as the usage of videos in the introduction part.

In terms of delivery, more rehearsals would have chased the nervousness away. The points were in my head before the actual presentation, yet during the real deal, the points began to melt into each other like snow. What was once clear become blurred and I panicked. It probably showed. I felt I started well. And I noticed Brad looked down at his computer immediately after saying we could began. I figured that he wanted us to do something to catch his attention and make him look up. From my side, I thought my voice was loud enough already, but it apparently wasn't. 'Use the diaphragm' someone suggested. I will keep that in mind the next time I present. That will take some practise, and getting used to my voice being loud. (Maybe I should start practising with friends...:D ) In my bid to sound ' professional' and remember my content, I forgot to engage my audience! And did not manage to show my passion for this subject. "Be more aggressive", someone suggested. Note taken! Then again, I think being aggressive is not always key to an effective presentation, but maybe it is essential in a business proposal presentation. I guess what my friend suggested was to show more passion.

In this aspect, if I were more confident with my script, which would come with more rehearsals, I would have been able to allow my emotions flow through much more naturally. Memorizing from a script will be the first step to killing the connection with audience. Even though I did not physically hold a paper in my hand, I probably held it in my mind. Just as bad, if not worse. Because if I had held my script in my hand, I may have been more assured and less jittery. That being said, it will still not be wise to hold a paper in my hand, because it would have looked less professional. As much as I'd like to think that I am passed the stage of relying on a script, I have to confess that I am not totally out of it, but definitely progressing out of it!


A good take-away was that I was clear and deliberate in my speech and diction, and am glad Miao could understand what I was saying.


In terms of using visual aid, there were good comments about us showing the video for the introduction. It was a pity the projector screen did not do the video nor our slides justice. The quality of the video was good, and the slides looked sleek from the Macbook. In future, it would be good to go and check out the presentation venue, be familiarized with the equipment and to know whether it has the required resolution and components needed.

I must thank the audience for all their good-intentioned comments and constructive feedback about my presentation and my group's. It was a great learning experience. At the end of the day, I hope the audience would be moved and motivated, if not by our presentation then by my shout-out, to support the idea to make changes to RAG. And I sincerely hope that SOMETHING will be done to improve the current NUS RAG day. Because well, it is not as well as it should be. :]

Signing off ~

23 comments:

  1. Hey Steph,

    You were the most well dressed for the day. In my view, I feel that it is professional enough. I thought the eye contact was good, but Brad has mentioned that you could have maintained the contact for a slightly longer duration.

    As compared to the boys, you would have a disadvantage with regards to voice projection. To overcome this, maybe you would like to stand nearer to the audience when you are without a mike.

    Try not to memorise the script. I feel that it comes out a little "unnatural" when you memorise. After all, no one knows what you are going to say right? So long you have the main idea in your head and it gets across to the audience, it is good. (That's what I feel XD) Your part of the slides were ok. I like the video as well. The only slight glitch I observed is during the transition. You were speaking and Yongxin changed the slide (I supposed that slide was Daniel's slide). I felt that it made you and Daniel a little uncomfortable.

    Besides those points that I have mentioned, I feel that your part of the presentation was good. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All right. Thanks Stanley, for the feedback! I'm training to use my diaphragm now, for a more emotion-uplifting reason. Haha. I wasn't really aware of the part where Yong Xin changed the slides. More rehearsals would have definitely made our presentation more effective. All the best for yours tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were quite focus then i guess? Which I think is good. =P Thanks! Hope the presentation would turn out fine. Cya in class tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Steph,

    I really appreciated the sweet and pleasant demeanor you had when you presented. It makes the audience comfortable and it is an advantage you have over the guys. :P

    I also think your non-verbals were great. You smiled and use appropriate gestures.

    You were also very articulate in your speech but if you had not used the script, it might make your presentation more fluid. Your voice was naturally soft, so you may have to project more, but that can be easily improved on.

    You had a general eye contact with the audience, but not individually. For this, you may have to see what kind of situation and presentation you are making..

    Overall, I enjoyed your group's presentation! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sleepy Stephie,

    Diaphragm is not just used in singing yah. :) You can use it when you speak also. That's how people speak loudly without losing their voices. :) Happy choir practicing... :):)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi May,

    I really appreciate your sweet/really nice comments. You're making me blush!! :D

    You mentioned that I'd have to see what kind of situation and presentation I am making to ascertain the level of eye contact...What do you mean by this?

    I'm glad you enjoyed our group's presentation despite the weaknesses present.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dramatic Daniel,

    I sense that you speak from personal experience. :) I shall keep that in mind! I was just asking a friend if she speaks using her diaphragm and she was surprised she did!! It must be because of her years' worth of choir practices. Happy mugging in a refrigerator! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Steph,

    Before anything else, I think you just have the natural vibe that captures your audience attention. I mean, looking at you just made me want to listen more. Since the beginning, you projected a very professional, yet humble and polite expression and attitude. That helps to create a very good impression and I think many people will appreciate that.

    Just one comment, maybe next time when you were trying to recall your points, try not to look at at the ceiling? Other than that, I see lots of improvements and applaud you for that! Great job, keep on keeping on!


    YC

    ReplyDelete
  9. steph can blush!?! i thought strawberry's were naturally red? hmmm... interesting.. haha.. and why is it dramatic daniel?! i thought it was dear daniel!! ahaha!!! OMG!! you have NO IDEA how COLD IT IS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. HAHA steph, although it is not necessary to comment on your blog, I want to say that you have been an awesome friend and team player in Dandelions and thank you again for the ice-creammmmm :P

    In terms of your OP, even though you may feel that you have not done well, I beg to differ. Firstly, in terms of objectives, I think you have met yours-to present to the audience an overview of what RAG and Flag was. The use of videos was powerful in illustrating the value of RAG and Flag and it is a really interesting start to this whole presentation.

    I only felt you were rather let down by your nervousness and fear of being too bold in your presentation style. Had you been less impeded by these factors, I believe you will be able to project your voice further, engage the audience more and convincingly sell your 'idea' that RAG and Flag is not all well and good.

    And because of that, you have the potential to present very well and I really believe you just need more experience and personal conviction to change your presentation style. You can do it! =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. hey stephy,
    Although, you were a little nervous during the presentation, I thought that you did great during the faq session, when you just let your thoughts flow out with the conversation you had with the class. You have that calm soothing sincere vibe that makes your audiences feel comfortable.
    I would like to share with you one 'mindtrick' which had helped me stay calm in presentations, perhaps it might help you. I don't know how to put it in clear terms, but this is what a good friend of mine once taught me.

    Have you heard of Newton's Third Law action-reaction?
    It's like this, when you are presenting to masses, have you ever felt like, "oh my god, I have to deal with so many people at one go. How am I going to make sure everyone is happy?"
    My friend suggested that human communication is quite similar.

    When you feel positive and good emotions, naturally those around you will receive good emotions from you, hence respond in a more positive manner to you. It's all subconscious.

    So the key is just to focus on yourself, focus on your own emotional state instead of worrying so much about your audiences.
    When you feel great and positive, similarly your audiences to a huge extent will be infected by your good emotions.
    I find this analogy quite a useful tool in my communication.

    Another saying is that "you can only give people what you have, so whatever you want your audiences to feel, give that feeling to yourself first! e.g. feeling lots of
    passion and enjoying your own presentation FIRST"

    To sum it up, focus mainly on the 'action' part, which is yourself, your own emotional state, and naturally the 'reaction' will take care of itself.
    Think of yourself like a lighthouse, a SOURCE of light emitting light for all the little pirate ships on the sea, instead of the salesman distributing one light bulb
    to each and every individual customer that walks past.

    I don't know what you think about this, whether it's another tool in your communication box or just a thrash, it's up to you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oops sorry about the commas "although,"

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG!! why is that picture up!!! ahaha!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Steph(Strawberry)
    I recall that on that day, you had a really great outfit, and it definitely lifted the presentation. The initial part of the speech sounded a little choppy, the emphasis seemed to be placed less appropriately. In the later parts, you eased into your role and there you spoke smoothly and naturally then, which was a good! In fact, you speak very well naturally. So this could be a point to work towards. ;)
    Moving on to a paperless stage needs time and practice, and it could be done easier if the scripts were written on the purpose instead of speech. Instead of preparing what to say when a slide flashed, plan for the purpose of the slide. Explain the slide, rather than to provide a soundtrack to it.

    Overall, the slideware were good(I won't expect less with YX in the group, he's a real guru), and I did think you covered the background on the rag'n'flag well and it was informative. Good job! =)

    Cheers
    weeboon

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a very fine, detailed reflection, Stephanie. I appreciate your effort with this and with the entire project process that culminated in the presentation.

    Thank you too for being very positive about learning in this process, to the point where you welcomed audience commentary. In the debriefing of presentations I know that it might seem that we focus too heavily on the
    "weaknesses," and actually there was so much that was strong about what your team did that was not mentioned in class (hopefully I covered more of that in the formal assessment). It's important for everyone to keep such a good attitude and look at all of this as another step in a learning journey.

    Best of luck, Steph, as you continue yours!

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG!! steph!! you have 17 comments!! im so jealous la... :(

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow. Thank you all for yours comments!! I was really mentally prepared for a barrage of negative comments but you all have been really quite nice/ supportive/ well-intentioned/constructive/honest but not harsh.

    @ Brad: I just allowed my thoughts to flow as I reflected. This was one of the easier blogging topics because it came rather naturally..:) I'm glad you enjoyed reading it! Yes, the whole proposal & presentation process was definitely a good learning experience for me. I hope you weren't disappointed with our group's performance. Someone once told me that criticism is the best way to learn...and I know you gave yours with all the good intentions of helping me/us improve. So I really really appreciate it. THANK YOU BRAD. :)

    p.s. I drew the drawing using 'Paint' software with my mouse. Am glad it turned out well !


    @ YC: Thank you for your encouragement. You were a great audience (haha). :) I will keep your tip in mind. I think I must have unconsciously rolled my eyes at the audience. Actually, I'm not sure how I can control this aspect, because it's more of a subconscious reaction..i think being more self-aware of it would also help, so that I would not end up unintentionally rolling my eyes at my audience.

    @ YS: Hey, thanks for your vote of confidence in me! Yes, my presentation style can be honed through more experience, I agree. Regarding the video slides, must thank Yong Xin - he helped put the video together and made sure it worked! No problem, looking forward to ice-cream from you horr!

    @ Wei Ping: Yes, I was definitely a lot more comfortable during the Q&A session! I quite like on-the-spot Q&A. As for your post, it is not trash AT ALL. I particularly like the 'action-reaction' analogy (partly because i've studied it before). It's like the idea YC posted - one must first be convicted before convicting others. It's the same for our emotions...Thank you for the valuable tips/insights!

    @ Wee Boon: Keeping the purpose in mind will certainly keep me on track. Thank you for the suggestion :)


    @ Daniel: If it makes you feel better, out of the 17 comments, you contributed almost 25%. Haha. All those random comments lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. so are you saying i talk too much?? blah... :(

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh steph you studied that before? where did u read about it?

    ReplyDelete
  20. @ Daniel: No la.. I didn't say that! I Should thank you for the contribution. Thank you :)

    @ Wei Ping: Oh I meant I've studied Newton's 3rd law a.k.a action-reaction thing. Heh. In secondary school physics! So i'm better able to understand that analogy.

    ReplyDelete
  21. OMG!!! 22 comments!!! WOWWEEEEEE!!!!!

    ReplyDelete