Wednesday, November 3, 2010

On Death

"Death is the best invention of Life" - Steve Jobs in his speech at Stanford University

You know how almost everyone knows about the famous speech Steve Jobs made at Stanford University? I had a vague memory of listening to it, but I couldn't quite remember what made it memorable. Then I chanced upon his speech while browsing through www.ted.com. The line above stuck in my head- how simple yet profound. It is the knowledge that I do not have an eternity to live out my life, that forces me to treasure each and every single moment of it. Yet so often, I forgot. During lunch the next day, I happened to mention this to a friend, who then shared with me an article "Five regrets of the Dying", by Bronnie Ware. A worthwhile read!

3 comments:

  1. Was that why you were so emo and sent that mail? and evidently from the time stamp so was this post. :) its ok.. you've got your friends with you.. :) smile..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Steph, I don't know what sparked off this post, but since it's sparked off the theme of death, I reckon it must have been something that stirs deep thoughts.

    "Death is the best invention of Life"; it is indeed a simple sentence with profound meaning, and we can go on about it like how we almost never stop when we talk about culture in class.
    One point that I find unrefutable that is that Death is born from Life. To me, Death is a gift, for the fact that it truly provides closure-- be it for the ones that left, or for the ones left.
    Regardless, carpe diem!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys, for the respond! Appreciate it ;)

    @ Daniel: Yup, you're right, I was in a wistful/pensive mood when I sent The Dandelion that email. I thought it was very meaningful too. Haha yups, I'm not suicidal or anything, it's just a good reminder! Thanks still ! Smile

    @ Wee Boon: Yup, Death sure provides a kind of closure...that's another way of seeing things. Most people wouldn't think of it as a best invention. Actually, to be exact, Steve Jobs said that Death is "likely one of the best inventions of Life". I know what that means - Seize the Day! Indeed!

    ReplyDelete